Monday, May 23, 2011

Week 18 - How Do I Measure Up?


Inspired by Susannah Conway's call for honesty in blogging and a quote my friend Janelle found about motherhood, I've been thinking a lot about motherhood and being an artist, and the things they have in common.

First the quote:
"I figured that motherhood would be something that descended naturally, the same way my milk came in - a little painful, a little awe-inspiring, but part of me now for better or for worse. I waited patiently... any day now, I told myself, I am going to wake up and know what I am doing." - Jodi Picoult, Keeping Faith

And that's true for me...I always feel a little like I'm faking it. I felt that way in art school, too. And in both motherhood and in art, you take little pieces of your soul out of your body and you put them out into the world for all to see and judge. If people "get" what you're doing they will praise you; you are a good artist, you are a good mother. But if they don't understand, they will rip you to shreds with smiles on their faces.

5 comments:

  1. Very different angle. Made me look twice.

    Your observations about art and motherhood are deep and ring true, even to one who knows little about either.

    Shalom, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fluke...toddler photography is a little like war photography...you're always under attack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Not that I'm much of an artist, or anything. I would never claim that, but I do know a lot about putting yourself out there to be judged - it happens all the time in my job. My department head said it best when I was a Doc student, and I will never forget this, he said: "we do a good job of tearing you down as a PhD student, but we never really get around to building you back up." I think that sentiment is kinda the same as what you are expressing. People are generally more likely to call you out on things they don't think are right or well done rather than pat you on the back and tell you you've done well. I really struggle with this a lot in motherhood and in my job. I wonder if I will ever really be "good" at either/both. "With smiles on their faces" - again, so true.

    PS - wonderful picture. I love the color and the angle - just great.
    PSS - I think you are a wonderful artist and a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto the PS and the PSS. I think I am in love with the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes, that quote can be applied to so much -- i often feel the same way as a writer and i've no doubt i'd feel the same way as a mother! thank you for sharing honestly here :)

    ReplyDelete