Monday, July 11, 2011

Week 23 - In Full Color


art/ärt/Noun

1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
2. Works produced by such skill and imagination.

I'm working very hard (and let's face it, I'm Type A, so probably TOO hard) to let Owen create without restraint. I want him to be able to make and create with glee. And here's where my own crap influences my parenting (don't smirk, you do it too): I never felt free to be and make whatever I wanted, HOWEVER I wanted. I still don't really. Even in art school, I couldn't just ... let go. And maybe that's why I take pictures, dials, apertures, focal lenghts...control. I'm a perfectionist with authority issues. Can't ... ok WON'T ... follow a pattern, but I want what I make to be perfect the first time. There are a lot of rules in my world. And I don't want my kid to put that kind of pressure on himself. And I don't want to put that kind of pressure on my kid. I want him to have ideas and let it fly! So we started with finger painting. He painted the paper, he painted the wall, he painted the floor and he had paint from head to toe. And he mixed and he pushed and smeared, and we were both so happy. The paint didn't wash out of the shorts...oh well. And it was hard to get off the wall and the floor, but you know what? We did it all again the next morning!

3 comments:

  1. bump of the contrast a bit and save this in your stock art file. sellable. now, if I can just get myself to post the stuff in my stock art folder on a site...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful parenting and wonderful art. I wish I could parent like you. I can't let go of my control issues. You are a wonderful mom, Carm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that YOU enjoyed it too, and probably really good for both of you. I have kind of the same thing, and that's why I have two forms of art: colored pencil and collage. My colored pencil work is my "OCD" art where I want it to come out perfect and my collage is the free-form, purely intuitive, no-rule-except-that-there-are-no-rules art. Your photography and crafting is your left brained/controlled art, but now you have something to balance that through/with Owen.

    ReplyDelete