Sunday, June 19, 2011

Week 22 - Just Hanging Around


It took me years - too many really - to figure out that a dad wasn't the man whose genetics you shared, it was the guy who was in the mix every day. The one who took you to ballet lessons. The one who was at school functions and award ceremonies and parades and picked you up from daycare. The one who taught you to drive even when your mom said no. I never really knew my biological "dad", but I had an everyday dad who loved me very much.

I'm so very glad on this father's day that my kids don't have to sort through hurt and confusion when dealing with their dad. Their dad is a great guy who is in up to his elbows every day. He's the cuddler, the diaper changer, the hair comber and the breakfast maker. He's the encourager and the discipliner (yeah, I know that's not really a word). I would say I was a lucky wife to have such a great husband who is such a great father...but it wasn't luck. I knew that he would be all those things and more, and that's why I picked him.

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture...love the post even more. And you know I agree with you on the luck part but Dane and Owen are lucky that you knew how to pick the right man!

    ReplyDelete