
Of the solstices, the summer solstice has never been my favorite. It's when the days start to get shorter, it's the retreat of the light (and a particularly heinous ex-boyfriend's birthday. If there ever was a light-suck, it was that guy). I much prefer the winter solstice or, as I think of it, the welcoming back of the light. Winter solstice is a time for celebration and we honor it with a very casual candle lighting under the moon. However, I will give Midsummer one thing over Midwinter: the most amazing Shakespearean play, filled with faeries, magic and a goofus with a donkey head. I love Midsummer Night's Dream, so much in fact, that I actually wanted to use Puck as Owen's middle name. However, he was not even the slightest bit Puckish, so I've filed it away until the day the doctors pull out a baby who looks at me and winks like he knows all the silly secrets of the universe.

No comments:
Post a Comment