I had an outtie. For years. It always kind of embarrassed me. And I was completely grossed out when, at the end of my pregnancy, the belly button that I worked so hard to make an innie (weight loss and countless hours of sticking my finger in it so it would go back in) popped right back out again. So when Owen's cord stump fell off (I saved it in a little jeweled box. Is that weird?) and he was left with this beautiful little innie, I was thrilled. I marvel at his perfect little belly button. I mean, my child is perfection, of course, but that belly button, that is a work of art.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
May 12 - Navel Gazing
I had an outtie. For years. It always kind of embarrassed me. And I was completely grossed out when, at the end of my pregnancy, the belly button that I worked so hard to make an innie (weight loss and countless hours of sticking my finger in it so it would go back in) popped right back out again. So when Owen's cord stump fell off (I saved it in a little jeweled box. Is that weird?) and he was left with this beautiful little innie, I was thrilled. I marvel at his perfect little belly button. I mean, my child is perfection, of course, but that belly button, that is a work of art.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You saved it in a jeweled box?! I've heard of burying it in the yard but not saving it in a box, hehehe.
ReplyDeleteMy belly button is still an innie...but it's threatening to pop out.
Yeah, I saved it. I didn't want to throw it away! So I put it in the little box. What will be weird is when we have a bunch of kids and I have a bunch of little cord stumps in the box, labeled so I know whose is whose.
ReplyDeleteI hate when people say this, but you'll see, it's hard to get rid of any part of them. You'll have a little box filled with cord stumps and hair and teeth and all manner of gross things. My mom still has a box of all my baby teeth. I'm hoping she doesn't give them to me.