Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 31 - A Birthday and a Nap


It was Michael's birthday today. So me and his mom went for pedicures while he and Owen did "guy things" ... they started out their day with a nap. Birthdays have a different meaning once you're over the age of ... 13. When you are kid, you get parties (we had a big family dinner at Whole Hog BBQ and Michael got an iPad, so I don't feel too sorry for him) but as an adult you mark your birthday by doing the same things you do on every other day. Laundry, dishes, parenting and maybe a little celebration. Birthdays shouldn't lose that special feeling, but for some reason, as adults, we no longer enjoy marking the year that has passed and anticipating the one ahead. We lose the childlike wonder of being 5 and a HALF...every month signifying a new leap forward. We hide from them, we lie about them and we avoid them. Perhaps now is the time to celebrate those years, those accomplishments. Maybe I should be excited that I'm 32 ... and a HALF! Maybe we should have big parties NOW, now that we can enjoy them, now that we know their meaning, now that they hold significance we can wrap our minds around - shedding an old year and welcoming the new one like we welcome new babies. We should welcome the freshness of a new year and celebrate the possibilities. So happy birthday to my Michael...may your 32nd year be filled with the joy and wonder children feel for each new day, each new experience, each new year.

We're heading out on vacation once again. So no new pictures this week. But I will come back next week with lots and lots ... and LOTS of vacation pictures. So see you in a week (I'll be the tanned one with the relaxed look on my face).

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Michael!

    Speak for yourself on avoiding adult birthdays I still love celebrating each year, not a big bash every year but something fun. I believe marking/celebrating my birthday is important. Since I set 6 month goals in February and August I mark my half birthdays as well. I don't really understand ignoring birthdays or lying about age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the funniest nap position I've ever seen :-)

    Happy Birthday Michael! And I can sort of see his new hair cut....like it!

    I felt that way about my birthday this year. I turned 30 and always imagined having a big party to celebrate it...but life got in the way. All I really wanted to do was sleep and I didn't even get that. Maybe next year I'll throw a big bash for my 31st. A "this should have been my 30th" party, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JayZ, I did exactly what you're describing. I was still "party planning-ed out" after our wedding and honeymoon so I didn't plan a 30th birthday bash; and then I woke up that morning regretting not having a party. So I had a Belated 30th Birthday on my 31st Birthday celebration the following year.

    ReplyDelete